Welcome to a Mellow Yellow Perfect Moment Monday brought to me by a Canary in a Stripmall. Several weeks ago my youngest son and I were waiting outside a restaurant for my husband and older son to arrive to meet us for dinner. Shortly after we sat down a little canary landed on my son's shoulder for a few moments. It then flew a few feet away and look distressed with its beak open and ruffled feathers. It was quite tame and did not appear to be able to fly far. I caught it easily and we went to a nearby petstore to see if it was an "escapee" from their bird department. No such luck but they did tell me the name of a veterinarian who fosters birds. However it was evening time and the veterinarian's office was closed for the day. I did remember that a fellow soccer mom from my son's team worked at an emergency veterinary office. I called her up and asked her if she could care for the bird overnight until the foster vet opened the next morning. (I am not a bird person and I have a cat that would find this little birdie a tasty snack.) She agreed and we brought the bird over in a paperbag. (Which we got from the ice cream store next to the restaurant.) We were unsure how the bird would fare. The next morning I picked up the bird and s/he looked great, like a normal little canary. Here is the bird in my cat's carrier awaiting transport to the foster vet.


Thank you for sharing in a
Mellow Yellow Perfect Moment Monday. I hope my little bird friend found a good home.
24 comments:
awww, he is cute! Love the new blog look!
What a kind heart you have.
The image of the bird in a cat carrier is great!
Such a little yellow bird. I hope he's happy in a new home now, too.
he is cute!
and thats just so odd that he landed on your sons shoulder!!
Glad you rescued that cute birdie!
YOu should be a member of the wonder pets! rescuing animals in distress. That is a great life lesson to your kids too. Compassion! You go girl!
We get the wild canaries around our house - they love sunflowers and we have a bunch. Great job on the rescue!
Oh wow! What a great story!
"I am not a bird person." -- Oh, I beg to differ. The fact that you caught and saved the bird says that you ARE! Now, I on the other hand, am truly not a bird person. I would have screamed bloody murder if it landed on my shoulder. It goes back to an incident in middle school when my friend's bird flew directly at my face, causing me to spill my pop all over my shirt. For a middle schooler, I assure you it was traumatic. :)
Oh my gosh it's tiny!!
That little canary knew what he was doing when he landed on your sons shoulde, probably said I know I will be looked after here.
Great Mellow Yellow story! You're a birdie hero, that's for sure. Glad you went out of your way to help the tiny canary.
How cute! Definitely a cat's snack though!
Awww, how cute! I want him! I'm not much of a bird person either, most of them kind of scare me, but this one is so tiny and so cute!
I love when people help save animals.
Such a cute little bird too! So sweet of you to take care of it!
p.s. I REALLY LOVE the new blog look!
The caged bird still sings,
remembering how its wings
fluttered in the sky.
My Mellow Yellow Shots
How cute, and how nice that you rescued him!
My MYM
You're a bird savior!
Smart bird - it knew who would take good care of it.
Awww! I've been known to bring strays in to the vets too. I always hope they end up well.
The bird is so cute!! Very sweet of you, and THANK YOU SO VERY MUCH for my card. It made my day and is now hanging on my fridge!! Your the best Martha!!
Awww...you are such a life saver - literally!
Such a cut bird. Hope he is OK now and has found a happy home!
Happy SITS Saturday Sharefest!! Wow that is a mouthful isn't it?
What a pretty little bird. He must have really needed you if he let you catch him so easily.
Happy SITS-S-S
Post a Comment