Monday, April 19, 2010

Playing in the Dirt for The Motivation Station Show and Tell

After an especially crazybusy two weeks with a ski trip, house guest, football game, and two Show Choir competitions in the mix, it was delightful to play in the dirt and give my benignly neglected garden some major TLC.

I trimmed the rosebushes which were going to take over my agapanthus. I also put down additional alyssum seed for more ground cover.

This photo is the Before of my overgrown wildflower/herb bed.

I cleaned up the black eyed susans and purple verbena to make room for spring mix lettuce, basil, yellow pear tomatoes, thyme, dill, and more wildflowers including sherbert colored zinnias. I also added compost to enrich the soil. (I have a very active compost pile and community of hard working worms.)

I will plan on sharing the "fruits" of my labors in a couple months when things start to bloom. Thank you so much for visiting for The Motivation Station Show and Tell!
I wish you a wonderful day and week and I hope you have time to play in dirt or whatever makes you happy.

If you want to clear your head, get your hands dirty.

11 comments:

areyoukiddingme said...

Nice! We planted our lettuce and spinach a few weeks ago, and this weekend, it was petunias and tomatoes. Meanwhile, my husband has been rearranging the landscaping. I'm tired!

Martha said...

Go for you Martha! Looking good :-)

Kim said...

Fun! I just love playing in the dirt - the results are always so rewarding.

Anonymous said...

My worms keep running from our compost bin but they seem to go to the garden.

Looks good. I did some dirt play myself this weekend. Amazing how good it makes you feel.

Liz Mays said...

I love what you're doing with the place! I hate playing in the dirt and I wish I didn't!

betty said...

how cool with the herbs and veggies you will be growing! tomatoes always seem to taste soooo much more better home grown than from the store

looks like you had a great time playing in the dirt! when I was younger and growing up, my mom had a compost pile and that was some of the richest soil I have ever seen!

betty

Felicity Grace Terry said...

I love those purple/black coloured plants, they just look so exotic.

Kalei said...

I bet your garden is a sight in your neighborhood. I wish I had the same motivation as you to get so much done. I do have some lovely violets and we did plant our vegetable garden with a little dismay (because frost keeps creeping back at us). Fingers crossed they make it to May!

Anonymous said...

agapanthus - wow, say that 10 times quickly! hahaha

Looks fabulous! I so have a black thumb and I SO want a green thumb. I've been thinking about starting with a small herb garden.

Everything looks fab! Can't wait to see it in a few months!

~melody~

MrsSpock said...

J and I have been planting sunflowers in the evenings- and hopefully they won't die. If they grow, I'll post some pictures too.

Linda :) said...

Everything is going to be so pretty Martha... I planted some Zinnia seeds but they are growing very slowly.... the sunflowers are growing though... :)