Sunday, September 14, 2008

Show and Tell Sunday: Turkey Vultures hanging out




I hope you enjoy these pictures of my friendly neighborhood Turkey Vultures enjoying some downtime after a morning of scavenging carrion. The birds are big, they stand about 2.5 to 3 feet in height with a 5-6 foot wingspan. Vultures spread their wings out while perched to cool off. They are beautiful in an ugly, ungainly way while in a tree, but so graceful while in flight. (Please double click on photo if you would like to enlarge, it shows their faces, amazing!) Thank you for stopping by and I wish you and yours a great rest of your day and week.

10 comments:

Mrs. Spit said...

Ugh. Those are really,

ugly.

But great photo's.

AnotherDreamer said...

They are certainly ungainly, and sometimes they creep me out... but they are beautiful in their way.

Awesome pics.

Raggedy Ann said...

There is beauty everywhere in nature. Even in vultures. Everything serves a purpose. Beautiful pictures!

Luv,
RA

MrsSpock said...

We have plenty of those around here too. Ick.

JuliaS said...

Particularly this week, I will happily steer clear of any close encounters with one of these in person. :0)

Though - they kind of remind me a bit of Albatrosses. Their take offs and landings are a joke - but once they are flying, they can really fly . . .

Thanks for sharing!

Kristin said...

Ugly birds but so very graceful in the air!

Soralis said...

I have never seen those before, they are interesting birds!

battynurse said...

I used to see those a lot when I lived in Chico. Took me a while to figure out what they were though. And they sound so funny.

Barb said...

Very cool. Liking what you have to say in your blog. :)

Lori Lavender Luz said...

"They are beautiful in an ugly, ungainly way while in a tree, but so graceful while in flight."

So true.

Excellent photos.